Protection: Reduce Mosquitoes Around Your House
Control mosquitoes — Get rid of all standing water.
- Turn over or remove containers in your yard where water collects, such as old tires, potted plant trays, buckets, toys, etc.
- Clean out birdbaths and wading pools at least once a week.
- Remove standing water on tarps or flat roofs.
- Clean clogged rain gutters and downspouts.
- Clean and stock garden ponds with mosquito-eating fish or mosquito dunks.
- Recycle old bottles and cans.
- Repair leaky faucets and sprinklers.
- Keep swimming pools clean or drain them.
- Repair door and window screens if torn.
- Keep weeds and tall grass cut short; adult mosquitoes look for these shady places to rest during the hot daylight hours.
- Get rid of mosquito breeding sites. (Electric “bug zappers” do not help since they usually attract more mosquitoes than they kill.)
- Keep window screens on campers, tents, and boats “bug-tight”.
via Utah Department of Health (2004)